Roller King Mission Statement:
Our goal at Roller King is to provide our community with a safe, enjoyable, and healthy activity for the whole family.
- History: Family owned and operated since 1977 Roller King has been host to families, schools, churches, birthday parties, canned food drives, holiday parties, fundraisers, girl scout troops, P.E. classes, adult nights, dances, lock-ins, and countless other group activities for the surrounding Roseville community.
- Roller King offers S.T.E.M Field Trips for Elementary, Junior High and High School students.
- Roller King is also proud to be the home of the Roseville Artistic Skate Club and the many local, regional, national, and even world champions they have produced over the years.
Recently we have also added the Roseville Speed Skating team to our ranks.
- We have even had a few celebrities like: Mark S. Allen, Jim Kozimor, Gary St. Jean, Pretty Ricky, and sports stars like Chris Webber, Bobby Jackson, Steve Sax, and Danny Ainge come skating with us through the years.
- Some people say the place hasn’t changed since the 70’s, but we have actually changed quite a bit: The skating floor used to be blue concrete (still visible near the double emergency doors at the back of the rink), we placed Flat Screen TV’s in the Snackbar, the walls and carpet were orange, dark red, and black, all the counters were orange, party room 1 was a smoking lounge, the interior of the party rooms had only brown paneling (along with just about everywhere else), the bathroom stalls had no doors, the mural on the back wall was skiers, we upgraded to energy efficient T8 and LED lights, our disco lights (14 new ones in 2013) are all LED, we ditched the shingles and orange and black awnings on both the exterior and interior, and a number of other changes that are less noticeable. So yes the layout is the same, and roller skating is always decidedly retro, but just about every year we add something new.
Health Facts about skating:
- Roller skating is equivalent to jogging in terms of health benefits, caloric consumption, reduction of body fat, and leg strength development.
- Roller skating is recognized and recommended by the American Heart Association as an aerobic fitness sport.
- 1 hour of moderate roller skating burns 330 calories for a 143 pound person. If that same person skates vigorously they will burn up to 590 calories in just 1 hour.
- Studies have shown that roller skating provides a complete aerobic workout and involves all of the body’s muscles, especially the heart.
- The number of calories burned per hour while skating at 6 mph is 350 and 600 while skating at 10 mph.
- Roller skating is a recognized activity for the Presidential Sports Award by the President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sport.